Tuesday, May 20, 2008

what's in a name?

as you may have noticed, i changed the name of my blog. i got the former title of my blog from a t-shirt i received as a law school graduation gift from an exboyfriend. on the front of the t-shirt it said "so, a girl walks into a bar...." and then on the back, in big bold letters, it said "EXAM." i thought it was pretty clever so i borrowed that title for my blog.

it turns out someone else uses this same title. in fact, after doing a search, many people use this title. one woman included a post on her blog about how i had copied her blog title, so i decided it was easiest to change mine, as i never intended to copy her title, nor did i even know i had until i started receiving emails from her blog readers.

i did a search first to see if anyone else uses my new title "recovering from three days at the bar." the search came up negative, so i'm hoping this title is safe. if you do in fact use this same title, instead of posting something on your blog so your blog readers send me emails about what a horrible person i am for borrowing a slogan from a t-shirt i own, just let me know and i would be more than happy to change my title. i have much respect for all my fellow bloggers, especially those that undertake the great endeavor that is the bar exam and post their experiences so others who will take the exam can know what to expect. i think blogging is a great way to stay sane, focused, and not overwhelm our friends/family with incessant "bar talk."

thank you.

- L

3 comments:

RACHEL said...

I think the new name is fantastic!!

legis said...

I read her blog back when it was new (she took the bar way back in '05). Her blog remained extremely popular perhaps because it was one of the first (thought not THE first) and very extensive, so perhaps that explains the swelled head over the title - which I can see being used by various people, since the title itself a take on a well-known joke. It's a great blog for those who are going through the nonsense for the first time. I enjoyed your blog too and linked it on my own site.

MLamp said...

I got your link from the "original" "a girl walked into a bar blog," which, by the way, is a total buzz kill. Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your positive blog, and the fact that you don't seem to complain complain complain about everything & everyone. Yes the bar sucks, but that mojo is not something I need heading into July 08. Congratulations on passing!!!